The One About My Kids



Like usual I have other things I should be doing. So naturally, I just read through a bunch of my old blog posts from 2014. SUCH young parents we were. The navigation on this blog isn't the easiest but if you're determined you are welcome to travel down the... uhh whatever old pages of this blog, that doesn't make any sense. You can read it if you want, that's what I'm trying to say. Here's a couple of my favs. Here, here, and here.

What I enjoyed most when reading it was seeing little glimpses of who I used to be and what my kids were like. Little stories about things Lincoln did. How we were so poor and dreaming of bigger houses and vacations. And now I have a bigger house and have had some wonderful vacations. So many things, the me from 2014 thought would never happen, have happened. Being in your twenties is hard. I'm sure people are screaming at their phones right now disagreeing with me. (alllllll 5 of my loyal readers) But for us, it was being at the bottom of the pay scale and buying our first home with an FDA loan with barely any money down and mortgage insurance and working and babies and a master's degree and babies. And just not being where we wanted to be but knowing we had to go through this to get there. And that was hard. 

I might start resharing my old posts if I feel like it. A HUGE bummer is that my blog posts don't show up in my Facebook memories. I was really hoping they would, ugh that'd be nice but no. For whatever reason Facebook doesn't include them. LAME. 

Alright, enough I'll get to the point of this post. What would my future self like to read about...

Last night we went to Target. And it was a prime example of each of my kids' personalities. The backstory is, Lincoln and Asa each have $50 and Louisa has $30 from their Christmas money from Uncles and Grandparents. Lincoln wants the boys to put their money together and buy a ONE HUNDRED DOLLAR Harry Potter Lego set. Asa has had his mind set on a Hotwheels race track for weeks. 

Asa and I are in the Hotwheels aisle, we look at our options, and I see the one we had looked at online that had the best reviews. I point to him and tell him that this is the best one, he looks at it and says "Yup, I want that one." and then goes right on looking at other things. His mind was made up, he didn't need to look at it anymore or compare anything. He's good. 

Lincoln on the other hand. Oh my goodness. Most of the time, not all the time, but most of the time, buying something with him is. a. chore. He cannot decide things quickly. Weighing all the options. Looking at the front of the box, looking at the back. Looking at the next one. Walking down another aisle. Holding them both, etc. It's stressful, believe me. Unfortunately, well, mostly fortunately they were all out of the really expensive lego sets so we did not have that choice. But if they would have been there, it could have been agony. 

Lincoln was really disappointed that we let Asa use his money to get the Hotwheels set instead of saving it for Legos. And we had to tell him to stop pouting. But surprisingly enough, Lincoln has since changed his tune and now is enjoying the race track. So that ended well. 

BUT (rabbit trail) my kids were BORED today. They've got a hundred dollars worth of new toys and they're bored. What does that tell you?! I feel like I have heard of this phenomenon my whole life and now here I am, the mom with bored kids. Feel free to drop me some mom advice in the comments with what to do with my bored spoiled children. 

Anyways, we're back at Target. Louisa was originally excited to be going to the store because she has been wanting mouthwash like her brothers have for several weeks. I had never remembered to put it on my list and every time at the store she has forgotten to remind me. It's a thing that we keep going back and forth forgetting. Anyway today we had both remembered. I had put it on my list, she had reminded me, we were gonna get that mouthwash. 

Now we're at the toys, Lincoln is passing for today because there are no good lego sets, Asa has got his racetrack picked out, and Louisa has been playing with a noisy fifteen dollar Frozen book. Asa and the babies and I head to the check out (because I had had enough) while Lincoln and Micah help Louisa decide if she should get the book. Micah asks her if she really wants to get the book and she looks up at him and says "Well... I already did get everything I wanted... the mouthwash!" and puts the book back. 

When I heard that story I was like... that right there, pretty much sums her up. She is something else.

Side note, we had kind of told the kids that we were just looking and weren't for sure if they were going to buy anything today. And when I told Asa that he could get his racetrack he jumped up and hugged me and said thank you. In the most genuine little way possible. And that is of note because.. that really never happens. It was just so genuinely sweet. I don't want to forget about that part. 

My kids all have their moments of wonderfulness along with their absolute insane driving, I need a break moments. Like coming to the door crying every 5 minutes because they're bored outside. Now THAT, I'm sure, is what my future self is going to want to remember. 


The racetrack





Comments