Road to Waco


Ugh my trip. Let's talk about it. I think it was in July when a friend mentioned that she was planning a trip to Waco to visit everything Magnolia with her church ladies. Immediately I was like, I want in. I was 4th on the waiting list to get in the van but, we're moms, stuff comes up, and I thought I bet I'm gonna go. Well, turns out I made the cut.

The trip wasn't without its disadvantages though. One, we were driving straight through the night, there and back in a 15 passenger van. It's an 18-hour drive but with stops and traffic, it's more like 20 plus. Two, I didn't know the majority of the people going. And that's slightly intimidating. Maybe it'd be awkward, maybe they'd be annoying, maybe I wouldn't be included, maybe I'd be miserable, maybe I'd die and never see my family again. You know, that's what you think.

I was a few credits away from minoring in Spanish in college. (no, I barely remember any of it now. boo. ) But the class I needed interfered with my major classes and the only other way to minor in it was to take the spring break trip to Argentina. Well that trip cost money (I'm sure it was super reasonable but at the time anything that wasn't free seemed like a lot), plus it was kind of frowned upon to have big plans over spring break because if my basketball team did well, we'd still be playing then (which never happened). So bottom line, I just decided not to minor in it. Well lately, life with kids, I've really been regretting not going on that trip. That would have been such an awesome experience and I'm not able to do something like that now. Those same reasons are what held me back then. I didn't really know anyone, awkward, weird, annoying, miserable, death, etc. All the good reasons that stop you from doing something.

So yeah, with that in the back of my mind and JOANNA GAINES I was like, yeah, I wanna go. Thank the Lord for my parents and in-laws for driving over to watch my kiddos during the day while I was gone and Micah was at work. Grandparents make the world go 'round I'm telling you.


When people have asked me about the trip... I feel ridiculous. Like I just smile and say "it was better than I could have ever imagined". And it really was just absolutely wonderful. It's hard to know exactly what made it so great. The great girls, the great places, the great food, or the lack of opportunity as a mom of littles to ever get away for five days and do something like that which made everything a novelty. Either way, it was the perfect combination.


I feel like I have been in the trenches of motherhood spit up, sleepless nights, stuck at home with a napping or not napping baby (never being away from Asa long than 4 hours for the first 15 months of his life because he wouldn't take a bottle). But I'm climbing over to the other side now. This trip was proof. I was gone and my family is still alive. I'M still alive. I legit felt and still do feel like the luckiest girl alive. This trip was one of the highlights of my life, and I was almost too chicken to even go on it. Ugh, isn't that crazy how often those two things go next to each other? Scared and amazing.

Oh beautiful typography for daysssss


Comments