Nothing's Perfect


Hey y'all. I can't believe that happened. I can't believe it all worked out and we actually went on our trip. I haven't done that much planning since my sister's wedding last year. Our trip was glorious, but it wasn't without bumps. It actually almost didn't happen... What I'm about to tell you, we debated on never telling another soul. Somethings other people just don't need to know about. And this may be one of those things. But ya know, why not.

On our flight to Miami from Minneapolis Micah started to feel sick. I checked our seats for throw up bags and didn't find them. But oh well, that probably won't happen. But it did. My poor husband had his sweatshirt sitting on his lap and threw up all over it, his t-shirt, and jeans. I freaked out and ran to the stewardess for help, looking for a bag and paper towels or something. The people sitting around us were really cool and understanding thank goodness.

But now we had a problem. His clothes were a mess. For some reason, I put our swimsuits in our carry-ons. It seemed like a great idea if our bags got lost, we could still go swimming in Miami (which was a high priority for me) but suddenly only packing our swimsuits seemed like a really stupid idea. It was all we had. I went to the bathroom and put on my swimsuit top. Then Micah went to the bathroom, put on his swim shorts and my women's shirt. And that's how we rode the last hour and a half of our flight, all through the Miami airport, our Uber ride, and into our hotel. I thought I was feeling fine through that whole process but then it hit me too. And we spent our time in Miami taking turns using the bathroom. Oh my word it was not pretty. I kept thinking "well I said I wanted to go on a honeymoon and we're taking care of that 'in sickness and health part'". I've been sick enough lately that I basically brought our whole medicine cabinet in my bag, which was a lifesaver.

Our tiny Miami hotel room
We both started to feel better after a few hours (thank goodness!) but now we had another obstacle. When you go on a cruise, there is a health questionnaire that you have to fill out before you board. The two questions: have you vomited or had diarrhea in the past 24 hours. Well, check, check we had had both! Ughh... what are we going to do? Lie? Tell the truth and not get on the ship? And this whole mess was for nothing?

We started questioning our own sanity. "Are we sick because of traveling? Are we those people that claim they like to do something but can't even handle leaving the state?"

To be completely honest, we were heavily leaning towards lying... we were almost better, maybe it was food poisoning or something, we didn't have fevers, we weren't going to make the whole ship sick. Right? We make it to the ship, go through the check-in process, and for whatever reason, no one EVER asked us! We didn't have to do the health questionnaire. So there ya go, we made it on. We felt so lucky. I was already feeling so thankful to have this opportunity but now I was crazy thankful! After spending the morning feeling so awful and thinking our trip might not even happen.

That first night on the ship I layed down on the bed, fully dressed, fell alseep at 9 pm and didn't wake up till 7 in the morning. I don't know if I've ever done that in my life! Slept in my clothes, didn't even brush my teeth. And then, not have a kid wake me up in the middle of the night.

So yeah, I kinda felt like a lier for not telling the whole world about that up front. Posting photos like I didn't spend the first day sick in the bathroom. But I mean, who really wants to know about that? And maybe right now you're regretting reading all of this. But as awful as it was, it is pretty funny. Now.




Comments