You Are What You Read



My new year's resolution this year was kinda lame but something I really haven't done for a few years. Because babies. I wanted to start and finish a book. Read a whole book. That's it. Well, I don't wanna sound like I'm bragging but I've completely smashed that resolution outta the park.


The Magnolia Story
This really got me back into the swing of reading. My mom let me borrow it and it was so good I didn't want their story to end. Maybe I should read Chip's book too? What an inspiration she is. Out of all people in this world, if I had to trade places with, it would probably be her. She makes even their struggles and hard times inspirational. That's who I want to be.



I am Malala 
I loved reading this book and learning more about another culture. But I must note, Micah brought it home for me from school and it wasn't until I was almost done with it that I realized it was the "young reader edition" so I imagine that it was perhaps a bit watered down than the original. Oh well. 



Present Over Perfect 
I mean seriously, who hasn't read this book?! Joanna Gaines, Oprah they're all talking about it... And it's amazing. If you haven't read it, get with the program. Just kidding. But ohhhh this book spoke to me, like on a life-altering level. I got it from the library and had to return it and order my own copy because I HAD to highlight things. I will be reading this book again and again. So many good reminders. 




The Scarlet Thread 
Well here's a real interesting one. The surprise favorite out of the bunch. I read this book after a very high recommendation from a friend. She said she and her friends loved it. It was life-changing. Well, of course, I've gotta read that. Checked it out from the library and right off the bat it wasn't what I expected. It's a novel, I had been expecting more of a self-help/devotional type book. But before I knew it I could not stop reading. Like borderline child neglect, I had to find out what happened. Sorry family your dinner can wait, I'm reading! I finally finished it and reached out to my friend (it's Courtney Dewey in case anyone's wondering) ;) Turns out that was NOT the book she was talking about. 462 pages I read and it wasn't even the right book!?

Well, I'm lucky it turned out to be as good as it did. I read an excruciating story about a marriage slowly falling apart and how it paralleled a journal from a young woman from the Oregon Trail era. It was fascinating. And again, I couldn't put it down. This might have been my favorite book I've read this year and it wasn't even the book I was supposed to have read. I hear there's apparently another book called The Scarlet Thread that I should read....




Lilac Girls
I would read that book just based off that beautiful cover alone. But I suppose it shouldn't be on the list because technically I haven't finished it yet, and I'm not sure if I will have time before the year ends. There was a waiting list at the library for it and I finally got it right as school was starting + my best friends wedding. September was a crazy month with no free time for reading. So sadly, I had to return it before I got a chance to read it. Have you read this? I only made it to chapter two so I really have no idea what I'm in for.

So there you have it. There's what I've been doing with my hour of free time a day.


Comments