What Pictures Don't Say



We did something different for Thanksgiving this year. We usually spend it in Bemidji splitting time between our parent's houses. But this year we got together with some extended family on the Hendrickson side. And I was pretty excited about it. 

We all packed up and drove to a neutral location in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. We got a great rate at an offseason ski resort. Packing for kids is seriously not an easy task. You've got to think ahead. Envision all potential disasters/obstacles and plan for them. And then bring your own everything. But we usually visit my parents for the weekend every month or so, so we've kind of got our weekend packing routine down.

I posted all my photos last night and I just couldn't help but think about all the things that photos don't say. They don't tell you that while I was sitting on the couch uploading those photos we had to get up with all three of our children who were crying in their beds. Asa came down with a cold last week and has slowly been recovering while simultaneously passing it on to his brother and sister. So yeah, crying. I thought to myself "wow do I have my work cut out for me tomorrow" But surprisingly today (recovery day) isn't going to bad. 

So here's a few highlights from our trip:


We hiked up one of the ski hills and my father-in-law rode a sled down a black diamond. He must have hit his elbow on a rock or something on his way down because at the bottom he says "yeah it feels like there's blood running down my arms" but seemed fine so of course, he kept sledding. We came in and his shirt was soaked with blood. In he went to the ER and got 8 stitches. No big deal. 

Meanwhile, somehow the sewer backed up into the shower in our room. Thankfully it was contained to the shower but yeah, sewage everywhere. Micah is the one who discovered the problem when he had to use the bathroom. So off he went to Walmart on black Friday to use the bathroom. Nice.

The plumber came over, couldn't fix it, and said we had to move to another house. And of course this was at like 8 o'clock at night after Louisa had gone to bed, plus we still had all our Thanksgiving dinner things out. It was like a mass exodus, 25 people packing everything up. It was pretty crazy. But memorable none the less. 

Some things we're stressful but overall I really enjoyed myself. Still, it is so nice having my husband around all the time during his days off, I'm still not over that. 

Oh, also you should know I brought my apple pies that I made last month and they were amazzzzzing. Plus thanks to Courtney Dewey, I got the urge to make homemade stuffing. I made this recipe and several people said it was the best dressing they've ever had. Cha-ching!

Comments