Why You Should Have Kids

Yesterday a lady came to my door to ask me who I was voting for (is there a neither option!?). She then started random small talk about my kids standing behind me, which I found odd. So I asked her if she had any children and she said "oh no no no... I'm too busy doing this" waved her fliers in the air, smiled, and left. And it just left me feeling... like huh. "You're too busy doing that" I thought to myself, as I shut the door, baby on my hip...

Often times when I talk to people who don't have kids, about kids, I somehow inevitably get rubbed the wrong way. And I don't think it can be avoided. If you haven't been there you just can't understand. Yet somehow I just want to grab them by the throat and say "Don't you want to join me in all this misery!?" 

Anyways, it got me thinking; having kids is truly the best and the worst all at the same time. So let me explain to you why life is better with kids. 

Let's start with simple everyday things. Things I used to take for granted. Like... going to the bathroom with the door closed. That used to be, ya know, the norm, you do it every time, it's nothing special. But now, five minutes alone in the bathroom and I'm like "this is the best day ever!!!!" 

Also, showering. Showering is the coffee to my day. Things can be going terribly, but I'll look in the mirror and my hair isn't disgusting and I'm like "everything is going to be alright. I showered." 

The hours between 8pm and 11pm. I used to take those hours, completely for granted. But now, they are the hours I live for, the hours of sheer hope and relaxation. Somehow a magical transformation occurs in those hours. I can put the kids to bed completely exasperated, completely sick of them but yet, after a few hours away from them I'm pulling up their pictures, I'm rewatching the videos I took of them, and I'm ready to do it all over again tomorrow.

See being a parent will fill you with joy that you have never known. Life with kids is wonderful. But it also makes life away from your kids soooo much more amazing too. If that makes any sense. Just my thoughts.


One more reason. In Micah's case, it gives you a reason to spend hours building Bionicles. Normally that would be weird, maybe even frowned upon. But with kids you're just a great dad.

Comments