A Girl's Got to Eat

I could write a post about how we ate leftover dominoes pizza and corn dogs for the last two days.. But crockpot turkey lasagna is way better. 

Sleeping around here as still been hit or miss but a shower can usually snap me out of the sleepiest days. And that has been helpful. Showering has moved up above folding the laundry and work on the priority list. And we are all thankful for that. 


Anyways, I thought we should eat something decent sometime this week so I pulled this one out of my recipe book. Something I like about this recipe is that it only takes like four hours to bake. So you can make it at lunch and have it for dinner. Also, turns out I didn't have Italian-blend cheese so I made my own mix with mozzarella, parmesan, and colby jack.Turned out great. Again the prep time isn't accurate. I flew around my kitchen chopping and stirring and barely made this in 25 minutes. Throw a couple kids in the kitchen (which I did not) and add 20 minutes to your prep time.


Lincoln actually ate most of this. He didn't ask for seconds or anything but after we convinced him that the green things weren't yucky, he ate most of his plate.


Also, for the record, I must add: I don't eat corndogs. They are disgusting. They're just Micah's go to for him and Lincs when I ain't cookin.


Spicy Turkey Lasagna
  • 1   pound ground turkey
  • 1   teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/2  teaspoon salt
  • 1/4  teaspoon red-pepper flakes
  • 1   container (15 ounces) ricotta
  • 2   cups (8-ounce package) shredded Italian-blend cheese
  • 1   package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
  • 12   lasagna noodles (12 ounces), uncooked and broken in half
  • 1   jar (26 ounces) chunky pasta sauce with mushrooms and green pepper
  • 1/2  cup water
  •  Grated Parmesan (optional)

1. In nonstick skillet, brown turkey over medium-high, breaking up clumps, until no longer pink, 5 to 7 minutes. Season with oregano, salt and pepper flakes. Remove from heat.
2. In bowl, mix ricotta, cheese blend and spinach.
3. In oval 5-1/2-quart slow cooker, layer half the noodles, overlapping as necessary. Spoon on half the meat mixture. Pour on half the pasta sauce and half the water. Spread half the cheese mixture on top. Repeat layering.4. Cover slow cooker; cook on low heat 4-1/2 hours.

5. To serve, cut into 8 equal pieces. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, if desired. Makes 8 servings. Prep: 15 min.












Seriously, you can't tell me that doesn't look amazing. 


Oh these boys...






Comments