Wisconsin Dells Trip


We spent five days/four nights in Wisconsin Dells over spring break. It was really our families first real vacation since Louisa was born. A friend had offered to let us use his time-share at cost. We saved up for two months to cover the cost of the hotel. I meal planned and packed alllll the food. So we only ate out twice so the food cost wasn't more than what it would have been at home.

In hindsight, we sort of overbooked ourselves. We always try to pack too much in and that left us feeling ever so slightly exhausted. On the last night I said "ok kids, everybody get your swimsuits on!" and we all just groaned and laughed. No more waterparks! We did love it. But waterparks are loud and still a little scary for our kids. I'd say the perfect age for Wisconsin Dells is like ages 8/9 and up. Lincoln at age 7 is right on the brink of having a ton of fun. He still had a lot of fun but was an inch too short (and too scared) for most of the slides. We'd see little groups of like 12-year-old boys and think "just wait till our kids are that age. That will be fun!"


On our way back to our room from the waterpark, Lincoln was walking with me and holding my hand. Until we walked past a group of older boys (like age 12 again). He saw the boys, let go of my hand, we walked passed them, and once they were behind us, he took my hand again. That happened to me. That's where we're at right now.

Asa right now doesn't have a good word to say about anything. Micah suggested implementing an immediate time out every time he complains. We're on day two. Maybe it's helping. We'll see at meal time. Every time this is how it goes. "Asa come to eat!" Asa comes to the table "What are we having? Ohhhh I don't like this! I didn't want this!" Every time. Ugh, the whining. I know he's only four. But it is just demoralizing to me. To put time, effort, and money into healthy-ish meals just to have to do battle with the kids over dinner. The funny/sad thing is that I was reading through some of my old blog posts and said almost the exact same thing about Asa when he was two! I'm see'in a pattern here. Even on our trip, I'd get out a box of crackers for their snack. Everybody's happy. But he wants something different. I guess there's always that one? Maybe?


We survived the time-share presentation! That is worth celebrating. We've heard horror stories about those type of presentations where the sales people are extremely pushy. But after our last almost mistake with the pots and pans, we had our game faces on. So... we didn't buy the $50,000 timeshare. But I mean it's not like we could have afforded it anyway. Now, I'm sure there was some sort of payment plan that could have tricked us into thinking that we could. But fortunately, we didn't even get to that part. They believed us when we said no and really weren't pushy at all (Shout out to Wyndham timeshares for not being too pushy). I do think we got lucky with our salesman/presenter, he was pretty easy going. There were a couple other salesmen that looked slick.


It was definitely a fun challenge/experience and we did get paid for going to the presentation so that helped fund our trip. If you have a chance to go to one, I would definitely do it. It also came with gift cards to things at the resort so we got to spend money on extra things that we wouldn't normally. Like the ropes course that Lincoln begged us to go on and then was afraid and wanted off once he was up there. And blowing $20 at the candy store. That was something we haven't done before. Asa picked out a seven dollar caramel apple only to get home and discover he only picked it for the gummy worm on top and didn't actually want to eat the apple. I know, so I took one for the team and ate most of it. But there again, another example of that finicky guy.


Comments